Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The Magellan Project

The Magellan Project:

The Magellan Project at Washington & Jefferson College grants funding to students to create an independent study anywhere around the world or even just in the US. This is something the college is known for. The greatest part about this project is that it does not have to revolve around your majors or minors, it can be about anything you think of. For instance, I am studying neuroscience and psychology, but my Magellan was about wildlife!

There are many things we students must do before we can get approved for a Magellan. We have to think of a topic, and then create a proposal that includes every aspect of the trip, which the Magellan committee must approve. This proposal includes: a personal statement, a detailed essay of your project and why it is important to you, a budget including lodging, activities, food, flights, etc., and any contacts you have made regarding your research. This proposal was very hard to begin, as I have never planned anything like this before. However, there were many people I could talk to and get help from. It was very eye opening and prepared me for future proposals I may do in my life- my mom has even put me in charge of planning and budgeting our family vacations now!

The Magellan Project gave me, and many others, confidence as traveling the world independently can be very daunting. Doing so showed how strong and independent I truly am.

No comments:

Post a Comment